Monday, September 24, 2012

Day 21, August 31, 2012 - Cody J Presny

I heard those kids again this morning. It must have been 6 or 7. They kept running back and forth from the beach. Skeptical, I popped over to see what all the fuss was about. When I got there the little Cuban girl was singing of hearts in her native tongue. I saw the canoes loaded, and then they were on their way. They headed east on Missinabi Lake, hugging the northern shore. They paddled and swayed through wind and rice for most of the morning. I watched them closely from high above, perching at times for rest. They move steadily and paced, like the explorers and traders I remember from long ago. Silently their paddles slice through the darkened waters of Missinabi Lake. Not knowing why, I follow them still as they headed towards the mouth of the Missinabi River. The water lied calm today, as they passed through the gate. They stopped only a few meters into the river at the campsite just before Quittigene Rapids. For a minute I saw hesitation in the faces of the paddlers, though I could not hear what they were saying, I saw two gather their things and cross the river towards the portage. When they came back, the group split into two. The more handsome and beautiful travelers stayed at the site before the portage, and the others made the cross. After a long day on the water the two groups retired to their separate quarters, to rest for the day ahead. Cody J Presny

No comments: