Thursday, September 30, 2010

9/27

It is so hard to believe that we have just spent the last month in the backcountry. After an enthusiastic morning of paddling, we have pulled out of the Missinaibi River. With all the excitement of a fresh shower and a turkey dinner thanks to the kindness of Denise and Louise from the outfitters, things haven’t really hit some of us yet. I personally find it eery to be out in civilization now that we’re out. Between even the first few pieces of society we have come across, I find the excitement of our long anticipated gas station food to be lost. Ashley put it best when she said that it doesn’t feel like a month long expedition, but rather a weekend camping trip with friends. To be out amongst the trees, stars, and waterfalls, the appreciation of nature doesn’t completely sink in until you’re out. Needless to say this trip has been something I will never forget. We have been tested in pretty much every aspect I can think of. We’ve gotten on each others nerves, cried on each others shoulders, opened our doors to others and closed them shut too.
At the age of 21, I have been lucky enough to see and experience more than some people ever dream of. I have jumped out of planes, dove the depths of the oceans, paddled through hundreds of miles of rivers, and the journey has only begun. I couldn’t be more thankful for the opportunities I have been given, and I couldn’t be happier that I’m on this trip with all of you. We’re all living the dream right now, and it’s happening quicker than we think. So keep your eyes on the prize, whatever yours may be.

‘And it makes me think of where I’m at
On my not so straight and narrow path
All the generous and mostly undeserved blessings that I’ve had
I’ve had an all American mom and dad
Some of the coolest friends you could ever have
I’ve found love I thought I’d never find
Sometimes I can’t believe this life is mine
And I’m not planning on leavin yet, but the truth is you just never know
And if this is as good as it gets
Man, I think I’m good to go.”
-Jason Aldean

-Sal

No comments: