Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 4

Finally out of Currens Hall! Moving out to Horn Field today made it feel like ECOEE was finally getting started, and that breathed new energy into me. Although our last night at Currens was an epic one consisting of a trip to McDonalds to order 16 small coffees, 2 vanilla ice cream cones, 1 latte, 3 cheeseburgers, 2 large fries, 1 small fry, and a grilled chipotle bbq snack wrap. Goodbye Currens and hello to HFC and the open road which lies ahead. There was only one downside of today. Keenan made an AMAZING lunch and dinner , and since I have to cook in a few days and now I'm intimidated. But seriously, it was delicious.

Anyway, it would be nice to say everything has been fun and games, but we've been working our keisters off! It really makes me think about the commitments I've made to this journey. Not only to the many people involved with making ECOEE happen, but also to myself. I'm financially, academically, and most importantly personally committed to my part in this journey. Thinking about it, this is the biggest commitment I've ever made in my life. Before video games and the internet, before parents were afraid to let their kids play outside, young men went into the wilderness to find themselves, to complete the transition from boys to men, Maybe that's why I'm doing this at the presupus of adulthood. Maybe I'm just young and naive for thinking that. But maybe, by the end of this, I'll know the answer. For now, I'm content just imagining the impact this trip will have on me, and always for the better.

"I read somewhere... how it is in life not necessarily to be strong... but to feel strong." - Christopher McCandless

- Ryan

No comments: