Monday, August 30, 2010

8/26

Second meeting of the night --- “First order of business: who wants coffee in the morning?” Three hands slowly lift in to the air. “Who wants to wake up 15 minutes earlier to make the coffee?” Three hands slowly lower to the sides where they once rested.
They say that pictures are worth a thousand words and actions speak louder than words but I don’t believe any has come up with something for what just happened. Yea, I just spaced out for about five minutes to allow my creative juices to flow – and I got nothin’. I guess it’s just an ECOEE thing… ha-ha.
Tomorrow we visit the Ministry of Natural Resources. In my mind I envision the facility of Hogwarts, surrounded by a vast old-growth forest of nothing but White Pines. Shortly after our welcome there we will be launching our canoes on to the beastly Missinaibi River. Remember when the elves left with Bilbo at the conclusion of the Lord of the Rings trilogy? Yea, it will be pretty much like that.
Jealous much? I’ll tell you one thing – it beats sitting in a classroom!
Today we crossed in to Canada, where the air is a little sweeter (and colder) and the Maple trees (much like Ents… alright, I’ll cut it out now) can be found all around. At the moment we are bedding down in our tents. The waves of Lake Superior (which is just a few skips and hops away) can be heard crashing in to the sands of a wonderful beach (which happens to be joined with one of our camp sites.) The sky is clear – much clearer than it is at home. I am truly smitten by my surroundings – and it has only just begun.
You’ll have to pardon me for not telling you more about the specific happenings or events that happened today. Use your imagination. Here, I’ll help you… on second thought; I’ve helped you plenty already! Perhaps you should just join the expedition next fall. Or you could subscribe to our newsletter by sending a small gift of $20.00 to Paula in the RPTA office (YEAH, PAULA!) Both of these are completely acceptable things which would be both awesome appreciated. Why should you do it? Because it would help us bring a whole new world to you.
Anyway, tomorrow we are leaving the front country and entering the backcountry (lions and tigers and bears – OH YEAH!) We as a group laugh and play more than I could have ever imagined. Each day we learn more about our roles within the group and how to take the next step on our journey. Adapt, adapt. It’s what we do. More to come…

Denver, out.

No comments: