Monday, August 19, 2013

8/19/13-Mosquitos!

Day 11 August 19, 2013- Emily Chathas
5am in the morning we woke up in a wet tent and then stood on a wet campsite for the first time of our expedition. Oh boy, did a lot of us learn a lesson that mourning about how to set up a tent correctly. Rain fly’s (tarp of tent) were inside out which caused us to run outside during the night in the middle of a thunderstorm in order to stake them down. A lot of us learned the hard way, however it was good lesson to learn early on our journey. Our hour and a half journey to get to Cranberry Portage Lake was short and sweet. From that point on we set up all the tents and aired dried them out and began to organize our lives for the 32 days ahead in the back country. As for myself I felt like there so much to do and I was disorganized. But I knew that we were going to head to the store in town and get some last minute things that we needed. I know one thing that was on everyone’s list, which was BUG SPRAY. Let me tell ya, the mosquitoes are ridiculous here in Manitoba Canada. One thing that I am very happy I remembered to bring was a head net. When I wear it I say, “You will not bit me, mosquitoes!” I have feeling that I am going to be saying that a lot for the next 32 days because a local from the town told me that were going right into the prime time of the mosquitoes. Good things everyone stocked up on bug spray. As we leave for tomorrow to start this part of our expedition, I know that it will experience not most people think of doing on daily base but the fact that me and 13 others who are doing it with me will be brave and ready. Let the swatting and paddling begin.
“If you want something you’ve never had then you’ve got to do something you’ve never done.” – Anonymous



No comments: