Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Coming back to ECOEE, I expected to really be slowing the group down because of my lack of being in the backcountry. I expected that while I was home, the group would have gained technical skills, worked a lot on communication, developed a very organized process, and be running like a well-oiled machine. I felt as if my return would be like throwing a wrench into the gears of that machine. I thought I would be WAY behind and would cause the group frustration as they tried to help me learn all the new skills and processes they had developed. I came to realize now that my expectations were very wrong.
The group may have developed many technical skills in the backcountry, but I forgot to think about the fact that they are now in a transition period too. Organization was almost non-existant and it seemed as if everyone has forgotten about the front country process. Missing most of the backcountry may be to my advantage. I now have an opportunity to be a true leader by helping the group in their transition back into the front country life. Now is the time for less talk and more action. We still have many exciting activities ahead and I will motivate the group by reminding them how to be facilitators of the day with an organized plan and positive attitude.

Ryan DeBoer

No comments: