Sunday, August 24, 2008

ECOEE 2008 Group Journal Entry

Last night it was greatly appreciated by all that we got an afternoon and night off along with a chance to sleep in, not that we all took advantage of it.  This also gave us an opportunity to hang out with old friends from last year and to bid them farewell.  Going into the night I thought nothing could lessen the great mood I was in.  I couldn’t have been more wrong!  Though it was great to see my friends, the night ended up making me feel disgusted; not only with all the ugly personalities surrounding me, but also with myself in a way.  Walking down the streets of Macomb made me feel like I was wading through a sea of ignorance and stupidity fueled by alcohol.  I’m not sure who was worse, the guys or the gals. 

On one hand, the were saying some of the most obnoxious, disgusting, and disrespectful things to random ladies who were walking down the sidewalk and other guys were trying to start a fight with anyone who wanted to step up and for no apparent reason.  I now understand what a toxic potion is made by mixing alcohol and testosterone; few things could be more detrimental to society, especially when you think about the fact that college students are the future of America.

On the other hand, the gals were not showing any respect for themselves.  Besides the drunken young miss who tried to steal my cowboy hat, the gals didn’t seem to be disrespecting anyone else, but they never made an effort to stand up for themselves when the drunkards were yelling at them from the front yards, which I’m not sure even had grass under the layer of empty cups, cans, bottles, and cigarette butts.  In fact, some young ladies were even responding positively to the horrible cat calls being spewed in their direction. 

It’s amazing how one isolated week can change a person so much, and we were only 3 miles off campus.  I’m disgusted with myself because last year I never noticed any of this behavior, making me think I was probably partaking in it.  It’s also a good thing though.  I’m now ready to change my old ways and grow as a person.  I’m ready to leave Macomb and this campus behind me.  The “BAD”-LANDS? YEAH RIGHT! More the DREAMLANDS!!!! HERE WE COME!!!

~RYAN DEBOER

No comments: