Saturday, October 19, 2013

10/19/13-Rest and Reflection


 Rest and Reflection  
Quinn Moore
                                              
            Today as I awoke and proceeded to unzip my sleeping bag I realized with a great triumphant sigh that today is Saturday! You know what that means, some well needed time off. As I packed my pack I thought to myself “man this pack is 105 liters and I still can’t fit all of my stuff in here.” I grabbed my food bag from the tree it was sitting in, and for some reason I thought of Star Wars episode six when Chewbacca sprang the trap set for him on the forest moon of Endor. Thankfully it wasn’t a trap, so then I proceeded to stuff my food bag into my already cramped hiking pack, and I sat down to eat breakfast. Once I finished my breakfast I put on my pack that weighed as much as a Volkswagen Beetle and headed down to the meeting spot. We had the weeks LOW debriefs, which went off smoothly, but it brought back some recurring thoughts. I started to think about the day we all went climbing.
            I was so proud of the group and the members that conquered the climb and their fears. Then I thought of how happy I was to climb to the top, even though it took me over a half hour! Next I thought about our day of repelling, and how emotionally tiring it was for some group members. Again my admiration for the group rose to great heights. The group accomplished a lot in the past few days and it brought great joy to me. After we had our tent mate evaluations, and received our new tent groups each member proceeded to their new sites to settle in. As I made my way up to Nightwatch, my new site I couldn’t help but think “man why do I need to climb up here I never lost anything up here.” Hiking to the site made me feel like a gladiator struggling to survive in the arena. Once I finally made it to the top I let out a sigh of relief. After a small congratulations to myself I turned around and I looked off into the distance, and I realized that even though I struggled at every step, I couldn’t help but love the beautiful view before my eyes. The view itself made my struggle worth it. As I write in this journal, and look out at the horizon I realized that I am lucky I am not terrified of heights!
                                                Roses are red
                                                Violets are blue
                                                I really miss Roxanne
                                                And you might too
-       Quinn Moore

No comments: