Saturday, November 24, 2012

October 10, 2012 - Cody J Presny

Didn’t wake up last this morning, maybe I’m getting better at this early to bed early to rise nonsense. I did wake up in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Death Valley, though the name might seem a bit menacing, Death Valley is a wonderfully salty place. I rose to find a one legged grasshopper in my boot, I picked him up and he promptly sprung toward my face, striking me square in the forehead. Of course, I took this as an omen, a spiritual sign if you will. I have been reflecting on the matter on and off all day, but still don’t know what role this phenomenon plays. What I do know is that the obviously weak and injured creature saw my boot as a temple; a place where he would be safe from the imposing threat of death. In finding him, I damned him; I cast him out into the world, a world not fit for a dismembered grasshopper. I most certainly sealed his fate, and for this I feel remorse. If I could have done more I would, but dwelling on things like this is fruitless. I can only take solace in knowing that my boot was a leather sanctuary for this little piece of life, even if it was only for a brief while. I can not dwell on the bad fortune of this sorry soul. I must smile, hope for the best, and carry on his legacy to another day.

No comments: